Orthodontist vs Dentist for Braces

Orthodontist vs Dentist – Which Specialist Do I Need?

best-dentist-vs-best-orthodontist-nyc-general-information-01Both dentists and orthodontists work to improve oral health, but in different ways. Dentist are in charge of any diseases that impact your teeth and gums, may it be gingivitis, cavities, or sensitive teeth. Orthodontists, on the other hand, work more on teeth occlusion, correcting bites and teeth alignment. In this article, we’re going to go more in depth on what separates the two professions so that you can tell which professional is best for you.

What are the Similarities Between the Two?

The biggest similarity between the two professionals is that they both provide dental care. But their functions are very different. For instance, an orthodontist can provide dental work, but dentists cannot necessarily do the work of an orthodontist. This is because all orthodontists are also dentists, but dentists do not all have the formation and certification necessary to provide orthodontic care.

What Separates Both Professions?


When you look at both positions more closely, you’ll notice that there are many more differences between the two then there are similarities. Orthodontists will be asked to undertake specialized training in addition to their dentist formation, pretty much like a medical doctor specializing in surgery.

Another thing that separates orthodontists is that they work more on the mechanics of the jaw and teeth. They’re the ones that you’ll need to see if you have impacted teeth or to find out whether you need braces, for instance. If you go to the dentist and they notice that you have an under or overbite, they will directly send you to an orthodontist. Other things an orthodontist might be able to help with include teeth spacing issues, temporomandibular disorders, overcrowded teeth, or any issues dealing with your jaw.

Dentists, on the other hand, will focus more on things like dental hygiene and tooth related diseases. They will be called to treat things like gum disease and tooth decay, for instance. They will also be called to perform tooth extractions and root canals and install crowns, fillings, veneers and bridges.

Who Should I See?

So, what kind of specialist should you see? If you’re experiencing general health issues such as cavities or you need fillings or crowns to be installed, then you should consult a dentist. But if you’re dealing with misaligned teeth or need jaw surgery performed, then you should see an orthodontist. If that’s your case, then call us to schedule an appointment with the best orthodontist in New York today.


Leave a Comment